This 4-4-0 (American type) locomotive is on display inside the grounds of the Florida Department of Agriculture, 3125 Conner Blvd, Tallahassee, FL. The area is fenced and posted with "No Trespassing" signs so, if you want to take photos, be sure to arrange access in advance.
Built in 1850, the locomotive is often listed as having belonged to the Suwannee River Railroad. This may have been the case at some time but, as Don Hensley of Taplines has argued, it was eventually owned by Bache Brothers Lumber Co., who had a mill five miles south west of Live Oak on the Live Oak & Gulf Railway. This ran down to the Suwannee River near Luraville at the river port of Peek. The locomotive was being shipped from Peek to a new logging stand on the west side of the river some time around 1900 when the barge carrying it tipped over. It lay on the bed of the Suwannee River until 1979 when a local, Jim Lancaster, hauled it out and donated it to the state.
A wood burner, this locomotive has 14" x 20" cylinders and 62" drivers. Unfortunately, not much else seems to be known about it.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.