This Consolidation (2-8-0) type locomotive is on display in Central City Park at 8th and Walnut St in downtown Macon, GA. It was one of twenty-five C-4 Class Consolidations built by Baldwin in 1906 for the Central of Georgia Railway (#1700-#1724).
Delivered as #1709, at some point, the locomotive was renumbered #509. Like most of the railroad's C-4s, #509 remained in service until the end of steam on the Central. It was donated to the City of Macon in 1959.
A coal burner, #509 has an 184.7 sq ft firebox and 54 sq ft grate, with a combined heating surface of 3,095 sq ft, including 535 sq ft superheating added in the 1920s. With 57" drivers and 22" x 30" cylinders, and operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, the locomotive delivered 44,078 lbs tractive effort. It is 56' 6" long and weighs a total of 357,900 lbs. The engine is 207,900 lbs and the tender 150,00 lbs light, with a capacity for 7,500 gallons of water and 12½ tons of coal.
Also on this page, there are a few photos of the old Macon Railroad Terminal. The original entrance to the "Colored" waiting room, located to the north of the terminal building, has been preserved.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
A short distance from #509 at the intersection of Cherry and 5th Streets, the old Macon Terminal retains a reminder of the "Jim Crow" South: the original entrance to the "Colored" waiting room. Most such relics were removed after the the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Completed in 1916, the Beaux Arts style building was designed by Alfred Fellheimer. At its busiest, the station handled as many as a hundred arrivals and departures a day but, after closing in 1975, it stood empty until bought by Georgia Power Company in 1982. In 2002, the City of Macon purchased the building and converted it into a retail, office and multi-modal transportation centre.