Based on a USRA design, #8376 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1929, one of over seventy 0-8-0 switchers bought by the Grand Trunk Western for its Chicago-Detroit system. It weighs 215,150 lbs and has 51" drivers and 22" x 28" cylinders. Operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, it delivered 45,175 lbs tractive effort.
#8376 is one of sixteen 0-8-0s the Grand Trunk Western sold for scrap in 1960 to the Northwestern Steel & Wire Company in Sterling, IL. Rather than cut them up, however, NS&W chose to use them as switch engines in their yard, and some survived in service into the early 1980s. #8376 was renumbered #76 under NS&W ownership and operated in daily service until the mill owner's death in 1980. After retirement in 1981, it was donated to the City of Amboy, IL, and placed on display at the Amboy Depot Museum along with Norfolk & Western caboose #518125, built in the N&W shops in Roanoke, Virginia in 1915.
Several other P5as have survived. You can see #73 on the GTW #8373 page of this website, #8300 liveried as IC #30 on the GTW #8300 page and #80 (liveried as GTW #8380) on the Illinois Railway Museum Yard page.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.