Class H-6e Mikado type locomotive (2-8-2) #639 is on display in Miller Park in Bloomington, IL. One of an order of thirty built by Lima in 1923 to haul freight (#632-#661), it was donated to the City of Bloomington by the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad in 1959, having racked up some 3,000,000 miles on the road.
The NKP rostered one hundred and twenty-one Mikados delivered between 1917 and 1924. Sixty-six were built by Lima, thirty-five by Alco and fifteen by Baldwin, inherited from the Lake Erie & Western when it was taken over in 1923.
You can see one of NKP's earlier Mikado locomotives delivered in 1922 on the NKP H-6d #624 page of this website.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
#639 is on display with Southern Pacific Class
C-50-9 steel-bodied bay window caboose #4770 built in 1980 by the International Car Company of Kenton, OH.
SP car classification, such as C-50-9, indicate the
type of car ("C" for caboose), the capacity of the trucks (50 tons), and the sequential order number (9). The seventy-five C-50-9 class (#4700-#4774) was SP's last order for cabooses. They were unlike earlier orders in that they were built without windows in the car sides to increase crew safety and reduce repair costs.
Above, #639 has 26" x 30" cylinders, 63" drivers and Walschaert valve gear. A single cross compound air pump is fitted behind the pilot It has a Ragonnet reverse lever.
#639 weighs 319,400 lbs (237,050 lbs on its drivers. With a 66.7 sq ft grate, 240 sq ft firebox and total heating surface of 4,626 sq ft including 882 sq ft superheating, it operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 54,700 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 185,700 lbs light, with a 10,000 gallon water and 16 ton coal capacity.