Built as a Vauclain compound, this Prairie type (2-6-2) locomotive was designed to operate over the AT&SF line between La Junta, CO, and Albuquerque, NM, with its steep grades between Trinidad and Raton. Burnham, Williams &
Co., an early incarnation of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, built forty of this Class 1000 locomotive (#1000-#1039) in 1901. They had an engine wheelbase of 32’ 2” and driver wheelbase of 13’ 8”.
As built, #1015 had two 17” x 28” high pressure cylinders and two 28” x 28” low pressure. By the time it was delivered, however, many US railroads were beginning to abandon compounds and were converting those they owned to single-expansion locomotives.
The first fourteen of the class were simpled between 1912 and 1918, the remainder, including #1015, between 1922 and 1924 with 28½” x 28” cylinders. Part of the modifications included replacing the original Stephenson valve gear with Walschaert and the 79” drivers with 69" in 1922-1923. The rebuild increased the engine weight from 209,220 lbs to 210,190 lbs, although the weight on the drivers dropped from 144,610 lbs to 141,690 lbs.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The 195 sq ft grate, 53.5 sq ft firebox, total heating surface of 3,738 sq ft and boiler pressure of 200 psi were unchanged, but tractive effort rose from 25,446 lbs to 38,097 lbs. The rebuilt engines were mated to slightly lighter tenders (112,610 lbs light in place of 118,000 lbs) but at 7,000 gallons, with an additional 1,000 gallon water capacity. The 10 ton coal capacity remained unchanged.
Retirements began in 1941, with the last 1000 class leaving service in 1954. #1015 was donated to the City of Emporia, KS, in 1955. It is on display in Fremont Park.