This Mogul type (2-6-0) locomotive was built at Alco’s Pittsburgh, PA, works in 1909 for the East Jordan & Southern Railroad.
Originally a logging railroad moving lumber from the Hitchcock lumber camp to Bellaire, MI, where the logs were transported by the Pere Marquette to various sawmills, the company was incorporated as a common carrier in 1901. Along with lumber, the railroad served the East Jordan Iron Works and provided passenger services. As the area became logged out, the EJ&S obtained permission to abandon the line in 1932 but, instead, continued with its passenger and local freight services. It became famous for free train rides offered each year on Independence Day and ran the last fan trip on 12th August 1961. Operations ceased at the end of that month after the East Jordan Iron Works stopped shipping by rail. #6 was donated to the City of East Jordan that year and is now on display just off Spring St.
A coal burner, #6 weighs 117,000 lbs, 107,000 lbs on its 55” drivers. With 18” x 24” cylinders, it operated at a boiler pressure of 180 psi delivering 21,630 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.