This Class O-18-a 0-6-0 switcher was built in 1920 as #1781 by the Grand Trunk Railway's Point St. Charles Shops in Quebec for Canadian National Railways. The Grand Trunk built fifty of these locomotives between 1919 and 1921 and designated them F9 Class, as well as ordering twenty-five from Lima in 1920 for use in the US. In 1923, when the Grand Trunk was absorbed by Canadian National Railways, the home-built locomotives were reclassified O-18-a and the Lima-built F9s became the GTW O-18-b class. They worked on the Stafford Subdivision in Ontario. The O-18-a locomotives were renumbered from #1749-#1798 to #7423-#7473 and operated right up until dieselisation.
A coal burner, #7456 weighs 174,000 lbs with 51” drivers and
22” x 26” cylinders. Operating at a boiler pressure of 175 psi, it delivered 36,703 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 130,000 lbs and has a capacity of 5,500 gallons of water and 9 tons of coal.
After retirement, all but three of the original fifty locomotives were sold, two of which survive, #7470 and #7456. #7470 is in the collection of the Conway Scenic Railway in North Conway, NH.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
#7456 was sold to the Canada & Dominion Sugar Company in Wallaceburg, ON, in 1959, then to
the Government of Ontario in Wallaceburg, ON,
in 1963. Next, in 1965, it was sold to Charles
Weber in Sarnia, ON, and then to James Miller.
It was finally bought for $41,000 by Montcalm
Community College in Sidney, MI, where it is now on display.
The C&O wooden cupola caboose was probably built in about 1915. It was donated to the Montcalm Intermediate School District by the C&O. They donated it to the college in 1995.