This Class C-3 Consolidation type (2-8-0) locomotive was one of thirty-two built for the Duluth Missabe & Northern at Alco’s Pittsburgh, PA, Works between 1905 and 1907 (#319-#350). Delivered with saturated boilers, they were later superheated.
Outshopped in November 1907, #347 retained its number when the DM&N was consolidated into the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range in 1938. Retired in 1953, it was presented to the Minnesota Museum of Mining in Chisholm, MN. The museum was established by Charles T. Wangensteen to preserve the history of the iron mining industry in Minnesota. As well as #347, the museum features mining shovels, rock drills, pumps, the first Greyhound bus and a vintage fire truck.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
Above, the engine backhead.
#347 is equipped with Stephenson valve gear and has 23” x 28” cylinders. Weighing 204,800 lbs, 182,300 lbs on its 56” drivers, it has an engine wheelbase of 24’ and a driver wheelbase of 15’ 6”. With a 48.2 sq ft grate and 196 sq ft firebox, after the addition of 430 sq ft superheating, the C-3s had a total heating surface of 2,598 sq ft. Operating at a boiler pressure of 190 psi they delivered 42,717 lbs tractive effort.
The tender weighs 140,500 lbs with a capacity of 8,000 gallons of water and 12 tons of coal.
Right, #347 is displayed coupled to DM&IR ore cars #14954, #14536 and #14613, and Great Northern wood sided caboose X601. It was built in 1925, became BN #10990 in 1970 and donated to the museum in 1979.
Above, Hanna Mining Company #305. This 60 ton steeple cab electric switcher was built by General Electric in 1928 for use at Hanna’s Wabigon Mine at Buhl, MN. It later worked at the Mesabi Chief Washing Plant line near Keewatin, ON. You can see another Hanna Mining steeple cab, #307, on the Lake Superior Railroad Museum page of this website.
Below, DMIR Caboose C-55 decked out for artist Lee Jaques fictional model Great North Road. Right, other mining equipment on display at the museum.