This Class S-4 0-8-0 switcher was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, in 1910, originally as #64 for the Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railroad. It worked at the Proctor yard and Duluth Ore Dock until 1926, and was then one of seven switchers (#58-#64) sold to the Oliver Iron Mining Company by the DM&N in 1927, where it was renumbered #806.
The locomotive worked on mining and stripping operations at various Iron Range mines and was last used in the Mount Iron open pit ore mine from 1943 to 1955. It was donated to the City of Mountain Iron, MN, the following year. #806 is on display in a park just off Locomotive Street overlooking the now unused open pit where it ended its operating life. The park includes several other mining related exhibits.
With 51” drivers and 21” x 28” cylinders, the engine weighs 164,000 lbs and, operating at a boiler pressure of 180 psi, it delivered 41,160 lbs tractive effort. Fully loaded with 7 tons of coal and 5,000 gallons of water, the tender weighed 90,000 lbs, and the total length of the engine and tender is 63' 2”.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.