This locomotive was built in 1902 at Alco’s Brooks Works in Dunkirk, NY, as J-1 Class Mikado type (2-8-2) locomotive #504 for the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville Railway (also known as the Monon). It was one of the first batch of twenty-five Mikados bought by the Monon that year (#500-#524). A further five J-1s were brought in 1918 and four more in 1923.
#504 was sold to the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway (more commonly known as the Soo Line) in 1941 and renumbered #1024. It was one of eight bought from the
Monon by the railroad between 1941 and 1942 and designated Class L-4 (#1024-#1027 & #1034-#1037). Retirements began in 1939 and the last J-1 left service in 1948. The Tennessee Central also bought two in 1946 and the Pittsburgh & West Virginia bought one in 1947.
#1024 weighs 286,000 lbs, 218,000 lbs on its 63” drivers and has a total wheelbase of 34’ 8” and driver wheelbase of 17’. With 28” x 30” cylinders, a 54.5 sq ft grate, 245.5 sq ft firebox and total heating surface of 4,728 sq ft, including 812 sq ft superheating, it operated at a boiler pressure of 170 psi delivering 53,947 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
tender weighs 178,000 lbs light and has a capacity of 8,500 gallons of water and 20 tons of coal.
#1024 is the only
steam locomotive built for the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville to have survived.
The locomotive is on display next to the old Soo Line Railroad Depot at 405 3rd St. E in downtown Thief River Falls, MN.
The depot was designed by the architects William Kenyon and Maurice Maine in the "American Craftsman" style. Completed in 1914, it was in operation until 1967 when passenger train services ceased. At the height of its use, thirteen passenger trains arrived and departed from it every day. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995 and is now used as the Thief River Falls municipal building.