#5614 was built in the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad’s West Burlington, IA, shops in 1937.
The CB&Q had bought eight Northerns from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1930 designated Class O-5
(#5600-#5607). These hauled both freight and passenger
trains and the railroad was so pleased with them that, following some modifications of the design, it began building its own. From 1936 to 1940 the Burlington built twenty-eight of these Northern type (4-8-4) locomotives (#5608-#5635) designated Class O-5a. These were the last class of steam locomotive rostered on the Burlington.
The earlier O-5s had Elesco K-50 feedwater heaters, but #5608-#5620 used Worthington SA feedwater heaters. All were fitted with Baker valve gear, a Dupont stoker, roller bearings, lightweight rods, vestibule cabs and solid pilot. Some were later converted to oil-burners and all were retired in the mid-1950s.
#5614 was donated to the City of St Joseph, MO, in 1962. It is on display in Patee Park.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
With an engine wheelbase of 45’ 6” and driver wheelbase of 19’ 3”, the engine weighs 476,050
lbs, 274,000 lbs on its 74” drivers. The cylinders are 28” x 30”. The grate is 106.5 sq ft, the firebox 433 sq ft including 45 sq ft of arch tubes and an 83 sq ft combustion chamber. Total heating surface is 7,628 sq ft, including 2,403 sq ft superheating. Operating at a boiler pressure of 250 psi, it delivered 67,541 lbs tractive effort.
The tender weighs 350,500 lbs light and has a capacity of 18,000 gallons of water and 27 tons of coal.