The St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad took delivery of fifteen Northern type (4-8-4) locomotives in 1942 from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA.
The first three engines (#4500-#4502) were oil-fired and painted blue and white with red letters proclaiming their duty as pulling the railroad’s crack Meteor passenger service (you can see the first of these locomotives on the SLSF #4500 page of this website). The remaining twelve were coal burners (#4503-#4514) intended for freight service, The last ten of the group delivered in 1943 (#4515-#4524), also coal burners, were built with trailing-truck boosters that were soon retro-fitted to the earlier engines.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
With an engine wheelbase of 46’ 6” and driver wheelbase of 19’ 3”, #4516 weighs 454,000 lbs, 280,000 lbs on its 74” drivers. With 28” x 31” cylinders, an 88 sq ft grate, 544 sq ft firebox including 137 sq ft in 3 thermic syphons, and total heating surface of 6,296 sq ft including 1,530 sq ft superheating, it operated at a boiler pressure of 255 psi delivering 71,188 lbs tractive effort.
The tender weighs 241,300 lbs light with an 18,000 gallon water and 24 ton coal capacity.
When the Frisco completed the dieselisation of
its locomotive fleet, it placed several 4500s in storage at Ft. Scott, KS, including #4516, which had made its last revenue run on 29th November
1951. By 1956, it was apparent there would be
no need to recall to duty any of the inactive
steam locomotives, and three of the 4500s were scrapped in Ft. Scott. During 1958, #4516 was
sold for $1.00 to the Missouri State Fair Association.
Ft. Scott shop men cleaned and painted #4516, which was turned over to the Katy to deliver to the State Fair Grounds in Sedalia, MO.
#4516 has deteriorated and sunk into its ballast, and didn’t look too healthy when we visited.
The 4500s carried an Ohio Injector Company T-60, 10,000 gallon injector on the fireman's side. An Oakadee blowdown muffler and separator was used in conjunction with a Signal Foam Meter.
Right and top, the Franklin Reverse Gear on the engineer's side of the locomotive. Middle right, the trailing truck is fitted with Franklin C-2 booster. Bottom right, a view of the Franklin booster, stoker housing, radial buffer and double drawbar. Below, the Nathan DV-5 lubricator held twenty-six pints of oil, and was driven from the valve motion on the engineer's side.