Delivered to the Mississippi Central Railroad as #141 by Alco at a cost of $49,745 in 1923, this Mikado (2-8-2) type locomotive worked on MSC's Hattiesburg to Natchez, MS, route. On display at the junction of Routes 27 and 28 in Georgetown, MS, it was last renovated in 2003, and the paint was somewhat faded when we visited.
The MSC was owned by the J. J. Newman Lumber Company. It began operations in 1908 and expanded during the 1920s, but revenues began to decline and it was bought by Illinois Central in 1965. Merged into the Illinois Central Gulf in 1972, the last of its lines were removed in the 1990s.
#141 was one of two MSC Mikados (#127 and #141) sold to Green Brothers Gravel in 1953 as the railroad dieselised. It worked at the company's Georgetown, MS, plant until retired and donated to the City of Georgetown. #127 worked at Green Brothers' Franklinton, LA, plant until scrapped in 1965.
#141 weighs 251,000 lbs, has 22" x 28" cylinders and 52" drivers. It was a coal burner that operated at a boiler pressure of 195 psi delivering 45,500 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.