#2164 is one of twenty-three Q-3 Class Pacific type (4-6-2) locomotives delivered to the Northern Pacific in 1909 (#2148-#2170). Ten were built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, including #2164, the other thirteen by Alco at its Schenectady, NY, works. They operated primarily on the St. Paul-Duluth section, although some were assigned to the North Coast Limited between Livingston and Butte, MT.
#2164 weighs 236,000 lbs, 150,000 on its 63” drivers. With Walschaert valve gear, 22" x 26" cylinders, a 242 sq ft firebox, 43.5 sq ft grate and total heating surface of 2,926 sq ft, it operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi and delivered 31,004 lbs tractive effort. It has a wheelbase of 32’ 6”, with a driver wheelbase of 12’.
#2164 had logged 1.4 million miles by the time it was retired and donated to the City of Bismarck in 1955. It is on display at the Camp Hancock State Historic Site in Bismarck, ND. In 2010 a new shelter was built to protect it. The site preserves part of a military installation established as Camp Greeley in 1872 to provide protection for work gangs then building the Northern Pacific Railroad. Its name was changed to Camp Hancock in 1873.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The tender has an empty weight of
141,350 lbs and has a capacity of 7,000 gallons of water and 12 tons of coal.
You can see another Northern Pacific 4-6-2 Q-3 class locomotive on the Northern Pacific Railroad Museum page of this website.