#480 is in Memorial Park, North Platte, NE, one of twenty Consolidation (2-8-0) type locomotives built as Vauclain compounds by Burnham, Williams & Co., later incorporated as Baldwin Locomotive Works, for the Union Pacific in 1902 (#1901-#1920). Several early 20th Century UP Consolidations are dotted across the Great Plains. You can see others on the UP #237, UP #407, UP #437, UP #481 and UP #485 pages of this website.
Originally numbered #1901 and costing $16,483, it was renumbered #480 in 1915. Built with Stephenson valve gear and 57" drivers, when it was simplified in 1910, it was fitted with 21" x 30" cylinders. It weighs 192,670 lbs, has a 47 sq ft grate, 191.2 sq ft firebox and 2,584 sq ft heating surface. Operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, it delivered 31,719 lbs tractive effort.
#480 worked between Laramie and Rawlins, WY, but moved to North Platte when heavier freight haulers arrived and last worked between North Platte and Grand Island, NE, in the mid 1950s. It was donated to North Platte in 1956. It now has a 107,433 lb tender with a 9,000 gallon water and 14,000 ton coal capacity.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.