#5030 is on display just off Letrado St near a children's play area in Salvador Perez Park in Santa Fe, NM. It is one of twenty-five oil burning Texas type (2-10-4) 5011 Class locomotives built for the AT&SF by Baldwin in 1944 (#5011-#5034). Designed to haul heavy freight at speeds approaching 70 mph, they were also used to meet the demands of increased passenger troop trains during the final years of WWII.
#5030 was donated to the City of Santa Fe in 1959 and is one of four survivors of this AT&SF class. You can see the first, #5011, on the St Louis Museum of Transportation Train Sheds page of this website, and #5017 on the National Railroad Museum page.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled"
Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The handsome 5011 class arguably represented
the peak of rigid-wheelbase freight locomotive design in the US. Features included Timken roller bearings fitted to all axles, including the tender trucks, Worthington 6SA feedwater heaters, cast-steel beds with integral cylinders and lightweight rods.
#5030 is 123' 5" long from rear tender coupler to front engine coupler and weighs 536,000 lbs, 380,300 lbs on its 74" Boxpop drivers. The driver wheelbase is 26’ 2” and the engine wheelbase
I have visited #5030 twice and the photos on this page are from both visits.
Below, the tender shows some signs of having been graffitied in the past. It weighs 462,700 lb light and had a capacity of 21,000 gallons of water and 7,000 gallons of oil.
The cylinders are 30” x 34”. With a 121.7 sq ft grate, 494 sq ft firebox fitted with 30 sq ft of thermic syphons and 2,640 sq ft superheating, #5030 had a total heating surface of 8,577 sq ft. Operating at a boiler pressure of 310 psi, it delivered 108,961 lbs tractive effort.
Despite a comparatively small firebox for their size, the 5011s were great steamers and much liked by crews for their smooth handling. Most were retired in 1950, but a few saw service as late as 1957. Finally, in 1959, all but the four set aside for preservation were scrapped.