This locomotive was one of fifty class G-3 0-6-0 switchers built for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy between 1912 and 1913 (#1530-#1579) by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The CB&Q also built one hundred and thirty G-3s in its own shops (#1400-#1529). The G-3s were rostered over the entire CB&Q system.
#1548 was outshopped in 1912. In 1942, it was sold to the Midland Electric Coal Company in Middle Grove, IL, and later to the Galva Iron & Metals Company in Galva, IL. In 1961, it was bought by Mack Lowery at Cuyahoga Falls, OH, and was later moved to Akron, OH, where it is now on display behind the Quaker Square Shopping Center. It has been liveried in a strange combination of red, emerald green and black.
Weighing 122,500 lbs, #1548 has 53” drivers, inside Stephenson valve gear and 20” x 24” cylinders. It has 27.1 sq ft grate and a 338 sq ft Emerson superheater. With a
10' 10" driver wheelbase, it operated at a boiler pressure of 180 psi, delivering 28,200 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
Just along from #1548 is a narrow gauge (600mm) 0-4-0T. Built in 1936 by Henschel & Son in Kassel, Germany, for the Grün & Bilfinger AG, a civil, engineering and construction company based in Mannheim, the locomotive was named "Gotha". In 1961, it was bought by Mack Lowery at Cuyahoga Falls, OH, and was later moved to its current display site in Akron, OH.
A coal burner, “Gotha” weighs 19,800 lbs and has 25” drivers. With 8½” x 11¾” cylinders, it operated at a boiler pressure of 170 psi, delivering 4,950 lbs tractive effort.