This three-truck Shay was built by Lima in 1905 for the Tioga Lumber Company, and worked on the Strouds Creek & Muddlety Railroad, controlled by Tioga Lumber. It was numbered #2, weighs 134,000 lbs and has three 12” x 15” cylinders. Operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, it delivered 30,350 lbs tractive effort. The bunker has a capacity of 5 tons of coal and 3,000 gallons of water.
After passing through a series of different owners from 1944, it ended up on the Buffalo & Gauley where it was renumbered #19. It became Georgia-Pacific #19 in 1961 and then moved to Dry Gulch Junction, a small tourist operation in Wytheville, VA, in 1964. It worked there until 1972.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
In 1978, #19 developed a throat sheet crack and the cost of repairing it was more than the struggling operation could bear. It was then sold to a Florida shipyard owner in about 1981.
It was later bought by a North Carolina dealer who sold it to American House Incorporated, an organisation created to preserve Lima history and cultural heritage, who transported it from Mossy Head, FL, to Lima, OH. The effort to create a museum to the Lima Locomotive Works finally ended in 1996 and the Auglaize Township Historical Society bought the locomotive.
#19 was dismantled and transported to its current location standing on the old abandoned Erie Railroad double track right of way in Veterans
Park, Harrod, OH, with EIRE Steel Caboose #C21093.
The caboose was built by Dispatch Shops Incorporated in Rochester, NY, in 1963 as Pennsylvania Railroad #21093 and retired from service in 1980 as Conrail #21093. In 1991, the Auglaize Township Historical Society asked Conrail for a caboose for display in Harrod. Two years later, #C21093 was moved by rail to Alger.