Outshopped in 1902, #1096 is one of one hundred and three 1050 Class Prairie type (2-6-2) locomotives built between 1902 and 1903 (#1050-#1152) for the AT&SF by Burnham, Williams & Co., an early incarnation of the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA.
It was built as a four cylinder Vauclain compound with
17" x 28" high pressure and 28" x 28" low pressure cylinders. Designed by then General Superintendent of Baldwin and eventually President of the company, Samuel M. Vauclain, the engine consisted of two pistons mounted in line and moving in parallel to drive a common crosshead, one on each side of the locomotive. The valve was on the inside, controlled by Stephenson valve gear.
Lower fuel and water consumption was the main advantage claimed for compounding, but Vauclains produced uneven forces and excess wear at the crosshead, which increased maintenance costs and largely offset any fuel economies. The complex valve assembly and the starter valve, which allowed admission of high pressure steam directly to the low pressure cylinder, also increased maintenance costs.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
By the turn of the century, many US railroads were abandoning compound locomotives and
converting those they owned to single-expansion locomotives. The AT&SF subsequently simpled all its 1050s between 1910 and 1922 with 23½" x 28" cylinders.
At 210,190 lbs, 141,690 lbs on its drivers, #1079 weighs 20,190 lbs more than as-built. The 69" drivers were designed for general use in both freight and passenger service, and the additional weight increased tractive effort from the as-built compound's 29,134 lbs.
#1096's grate is 55.3 sq ft and the firebox is 195 sq ft. An oil burner with a total heating surface of 3,738 sq ft, it operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 38,097 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 112,610 lbs light with a capacity of 7,000 gallons of water and 2,350 gallons of oil.
#1069 was donated to the City of Blackwell by the AT&SF in 1954 and is on display in the Children's Home Park. It is one of two hundred and thirty-three 2-6-2s bought by the railroad between 1901 and 1903, most of which worked well into the 1950s.