This is the second of forty-two 1950 Class Consolidation type (2-8-0) locomotives built for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe in 1907 by Burnham, Williams & Co., an early incarnation of the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA. They were built with an extended smokebox to house a Baldwin-designed superheater without flues between the tube sheets but with an assembly in the smokebox that provided 600 ft of superheating. This was not an effective design and, in 1920, Baldwin replaced it with a Schmidt superheater and the smokebox was shortened accordingly.
The locomotives had a 24' 6" engine wheelbase and 15' 6" driver wheelbase, Walschaert valve gear and 24" x 32" cylinders. After replacing the Baldwin superheater, the engine weight dropped from 212,400 lbs to 211,458 lbs, although the weight on the 57" drivers rose from 183,200 lbs to 184,100 lbs. The grate area remained at 47.4 sq ft, as did the firebox area of 181 sq ft. Total heating surface increased from 2,930 sq ft to 3,268 sq ft, including 581 sq ft superheating. Boiler pressure increased from 160 psi to 180 psi and tractive effort from 43,978 lbs to 49,475 lbs.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The tender appears to have increased in weight from
162,600 lbs to 179,000 lbs with the rebuild, although the capacity remained at 8,500 gallons of water and 3,300 gallons of oil.
Most of the 1950s worked in California at one time or another in general freight service both on the Los Angeles and Valley divisions until bumped by more powerful 2-8-2 and 2-10-2 types. Most ended their lives on local and yard service, and all but
#1951 had been scrapped by
1955, when the locomotive was donated to the City of Pauls Valley, OK, and placed on display in Wacker Park. Around 1993, Pauls Valley converted their abandoned Santa Fe station into
a museum, and #1951 was moved to a location just north of the depot and given a fresh coat of paint.