Built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, for the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company in 1922 as #5, this Mikado (2-8-2) type locomotive started work in Bend, OR.
The locomotive was later sold to the Alaska Junk Co., in Portland, OR, and then bought in 1956 by the Georgia-Pacific Corp., to work in Toledo, OR. That year, the GP had purchased a stretch of ex-Coos Bay Lumber trackage from Yaquina and Toledo to Selitz and Monmouth, but #5’s life on the line was short lived. It was abandoned in December 1959 and, the following year, the locomotive was donated to the City of Corvallis, OR, and went on display in Avery Park.
The engine weighs 144,000 lbs, 116,000 lbs on its 44” drivers. An oil burner operating at a boiler pressure of
190 psi with 18” x 24” cylinders, it delivered 28,600 lbs tractive effort. The second, low set of handrails along the running board were added when it went on display. The locomotive appears to be reasonably well looked after, although the headlamp is missing and the backhead is quite bare.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.