Stimson Lumber #1 at the World Forestry Center in Portland, OR

banner
Stimson Lumber #1, World Forestry Center, Portland, OR

A two truck Shay built by Lima in 1909, this engine was shipped around Cape Horn to Smiths Cove Dock in
Seattle, WA, to the dealer, Hofius Steel & Equipment Co. It was then sold to the Gig Harbor Timber Co., at Gig Harbor, WA, before being purchased by the Stimson Timber Co., in 1913.

#1 worked for Stimson in Belair, WA, and then moved to Gaston, OR, where it was named “Peggy”. It was retired in 1950 having hauled an estimated one billion feet of logs during its forty year operating life. Donated to the City of Portland, OR, it went on display outside the Forestry Building near the Oregon Zoo in Washington Park. The building burned down in 1964 and #1 was badly damaged in the fire.

The locomotive went into storage until restoration work was started by members of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in 1969. Three years later, #1 was moved to the newly completed Western Forestry Center (renamed the World Forestry Center in 1986) near the site of the old Forestry Building. It was moved to its current location in 2002.

Digimarc

Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.

Stimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, Portland
Stimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, Portland

Left, note the rear cylinder head protruding on the right of the cab.

This was a design feature, some would say “fault”, of the smaller Shays avoided in other geared locomotives. See, for example the Willamette on the Western Lumber #7 page of this website.

Stimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, Portland

Above, a view inside the cab. The wooden cab was rebuilt after it was completely burned in the 1964 fire.

#1 was built as a wood burner but was converted to burn oil at some stage during its working life. It weighs 84,000 lbs. With 29½” drivers and three 10” x 12” cylinders, it operated at a boiler pressure of 180 psi delivering 16,900 lbs tractive effort.

Stimson Lumber #1, Portland
Stimson Lumber #1, PortlandStimson Lumber #1, Portland

Above, the rear knuckle coupler was a later addition to the original link and pin coupler. The fuel bunker originally held 1½ cords of wood and 1,560 gallons of water.

You can see more Shays on the Cass Scenic Railroad page of this website, the B&O Museum Roundhouse page, Travel Town, Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Train Shed and North Carolina Museum of Transportation pages.

banner