#3417 is one of fifty 3400 Class Pacific type (4-6-2)
locomotives built for the Santa Fe by the Baldwin
Locomotive Works between 1919 and 1924.
The locomotive was retired in 1954 and donated to the City of Cleburne, TX, in 1955. It was acquired by the Fort Worth
& Western in 1990, but was never moved and later returned
to the city. There was also talk of restoring #3417 to
operation around 2000, but this appears to have come to nothing. On display in Hulen Park, unfortunately, when we visited, it was draped in Xmas lights, even though it was then mid-Summer.
Designed by John Purcell, who became the AT&SF's head
of motive power in 1912, the 3400s were the last Pacifics bought by the Santa Fe. Purcell brought an end to a period
of experimentation by the AT&SF during the early years of the 20th century, which included balanced compounds, "Vauclain accordion flexible smoke box" 2-6-6-2s with
hinged boilers, articulated 4-4-6-2s and even ten 2-10-10-2s. Under Purcell, the Santa Fe started buying large groups of simple, two cylinder locomotives, such as the 4-6-2, 2-8-2
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The 3400s were built with 73" drivers but, from 1935 to 1941, the AT&SF's Topeka shops rebuilt them as oil burners with 79" Boxpok drivers, new, thicker main rods and Elesco feedwater heaters.
Weighing 319,794 lbs, 193,054 on its drivers,
#3417 has a 66.5 sq ft grate and 226 sq ft firebox. With 25" x 28" cylinders and a total heating surface of 5,076, including 980 sq ft superheating, it operated at a boiler pressure of 220 psi delivering 41,424 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 253,720 lbs with a 20,000 gallon water and 7,000 gallon oil capacity.
#3417 was built in 1919 and, during its service
life, logged over 2 million miles. Its normal route was a regular passenger run between Cleburne, TX, and Purcell, OK, although there is evidence
that it worked as far afield as Chicago, IL. During World War II, it hauled military troop trains over the high passes of the San Gabriel Mountains in California.
In 1943, the locomotive was returned to the Cleburne shops for a complete rebuild and overhaul and, the following year, it returned to its previous Cleburne-Purcell passenger duties.