Built in 1910 as #501, this is one of five Class F-3-A Pacific type (4-6-2) locomotives built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, for the Fort Worth & Denver
City Railway Company (#501-#505). They were almost identical to the five F-3-As ordered the same year by the Colorado & Southern, which had acquired the FW&DC in 1899.
The FW&DC was chartered in 1873. By 1888 it had built a line running from Fort Worth through Wichita Falls, Childress, Amarillo and Dalhart to Texline, TX, where it
connected with the C&S, both of which became
subsidiaries of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1908.
The locomotive weighs 236,000 lbs, 153,000 lbs on its 69" drivers. With a 32' 9" engine wheelbase and 13' driver wheelbase, it is equipped with Walschaert valve gear. The grate is 55 sq ft and the firebox heating surface of 227 sq
ft included 33 sq ft of arch tubes. The total heating surface of 3,873 sq ft included 845 sq ft provided by a 24 flue Emerson superheater. An oil burner, #501 operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 43,116 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.