This two-truck Shay was built in 1923 by the Lima Locomotive Works as #112 for the Frost-Johnson Lumber Co., in Mansfield, LA. It stayed with the company through various changes of name and was moved to different locations, including Hutton, AR, Spencer, LA, and Nacadachos, TX.
In 1950, it was bought by the Conasauga
River Lumber Company in Conasauga, TN. In 1966, it was sold to the Graham County Railroad in Robbinsville, NC, where it worked on lease to the Bear Creek Scenic Railroad as #1923 and dubbed "Ole Cliffhanger". The Oregon, Pacific & Eastern Railroad bought
the locomotive in 1970 and returned its number to #112.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
#112 hauled passenger excursions on the OP&E for six years until it was sold to the Galveston Railroad Museum in 1978. In 1994, a twenty-five year renewable lease was agreed with Texas City, TX, and it went on display in Noble Park.
#112 weighs 138,600 lbs and has three
12" x 12" cylinders. An oil burner operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, it delivered 23,890 lbs tractive effort. The bunker has a capacity of 2,500 gallons of water and 1,200 gallons of oil.
#112 is on display with Southern Pacific Railroad steel caboose #1170, painted and lettered as T&NO
C-40-2 #317. The caboose was built in 1940.
Right, an unidentified speeder is also on display on a plinth of sleepers nearby.