This is one of two Consolidation type (2-8-0) locomotives built at Alco's Schenectady Works, NY, in 1913 for the Texas Midland Railroad where it was numbered #200.
The Texas Midland was chartered in 1892 by the American businesswoman, Hetty Green, nicknamed "The Witch of Wall Street". It was incorporated to extend the then defunct
Houston & Texas Central Railroad's line another nineteen
miles from Roberts to Greenville in Hunt County, TX. By 1926, the TM had one hundred and twenty-five route miles and was listed as a Class II road by the Railroad Commission. In 1928 the railroad was sold to the Southern Pacific, which then leased it to the Texas & New Orleans until 1934 when it was formally merged into the T&NO. #200 was renumbered #895 and became Class C-25 when it joined the T&NO.
The engine weighs 196,000 lbs, 170,000 lbs on its 56" drivers. With 22" x 28" cylinders, this oil burner operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 41,140 lbs tractive effort. The engine was donated to the City of Baytown, TX, in 1957 and is on display in Roseland Park. It looked to have been newly painted when we visited.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.