#1354 is one of forty S-4 class Vauclain compound Ten Wheeler (4-6-0) type locomotives (#1350-#1379) built for the Northern Pacific in 1902 by Burnham, Williams & Co., an early incarnation of the Baldwin Locomotive Works.
As built, the locomotives weighed 190,450 lbs, 143,800
lbs on their 63” drivers. With a 50.74 grate, 200 sq ft firebox including 28.46 sq ft of arch tubes, total heating surface of 3,092 sq ft and 15½” x 30” high pressure and 26” x 30” low pressure cylinders, they operated at a
boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 28,698 lbs tractive effort.
By the time the S-4s were being delivered, however, compounding other than in Mallets, was falling out of favour amongst US railroad and many had begun to abandon compounds and were converting those they owned to single-expansion locomotives. The main advantage was claimed to be lower fuel and water consumption, but the arrangements were mechanically complex. Vauclains produced uneven forces and excess wear at the crosshead, and increased maintenance costs largely offset any fuel economies. The S-4s were consequently superheated and simpled with 21” x 30” cylinders at the NP's South Tacoma Shops in 1917.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The rebuilds reduced the S-4 engine weight to 184,850 lbs, but increased weight on the drivers to 146,000 lbs. The grate was reduced to 49.7 sq ft and the firebox to 155 sq ft. The engine wheelbase is 26’ 5” and the driver wheelbase 14’ 10”. The Stephenson valve gear and inside steam chests were retained.
With a total heating surface of 2,732 sq ft, including 485 sq ft superheating, the rebuilt locomotive delivered 35,700 lbs tractive effort, close to 25% more than it had produced as a saturated compound.
#1354 served primarily in passenger service until 1941, when it was reduced to branch line freight service.
It was donated to the City of Pasco in 1956 and is displayed with Burlington Northern M930 Caboose #10222, which began its life as CBQ #13636.