This Pacific type (4-6-2) Class H-21 locomotive was built for the Soo Line in 1911 at Alco’s Schenectady, NY, works. #2713 hauled Soo Line and Wisconsin Central passenger trains in Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota and was the last steam locomotive to operate on the Soo Line's Plummer line that ran northwest from Moose Lake, MN, through McGregor, Cass Lake, Bemidji and Plummer to Thief River Falls, MN. The engine was retired in 1955 and, in 1957, was donated to the City of Stevens Point, WI, where it was placed on display in Depot Park.
The locomotive is equipped with Walschaert valve gear. With 25” x 26” cylinders, it has an engine wheelbase of 34’ 7” and driver wheelbase of 13’ 6”, and weighs 259,000 lbs, 158,500 on its 75” drivers. The grate is 52.75 sq ft and the firebox 207.4 sq ft. Total heating surface is 4,344 sq ft, including 805 sq ft superheating. A coal burner operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, it delivered 36,833 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 143,000 lbs light and has a capacity of 12 tons of coal and 7,500 gallons of water.
The locomotive is on display with SOO Wooden Cupola Caboose #158.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.