Built by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works in Providence, RI, for the Minneapolis, Sault Ste. Marie & Atlantic as #38 in 1887, this B Class 0-6-0 became Soo Line #321 in 1888 when the Canadian Pacific acquired the road. Later, it worked as a switcher at the Soo Line's Shoreham Shops in Minneapolis, MN, where it was converted to a tank locomotive and renumbered #X90. A coal burner, #321 weighs 117,960 lbs. With 48” drivers and 18” x 24” cylinders, it operated at a boiler pressure of 160 psi delivering 21,150 lbs tractive effort.
In 1963, the locomotive was sold to the scrap merchant, the Miller Compressing Company in Milwaukee, WI, who donated it to the Manitowoc County Historical Society in 1967. It now resides, returned to its original 0-6-0 configuration and renumbered #321 but in a highly colourful livery, at the Pinecrest Historical Village in Manitowoc, WI. The tender
came from B-23 Class 0-6-0 #2327, which was built for the Wisconsin Central by the Brooks Locomotive Works in Dunkirk, NY, in 1908. It was bought off the scrap line at the same time as #321.
#321 is on display with WC wooden cupola caboose #99006 built by Barney & Smith in Dayton, OH, in 1886.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.