A Pacific type (4-6-2) Class H-3 locomotive, #736 was built at Alco’s Schenectady, NY, works in 1913 at a cost of $24,587 for the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway Company, more generally known as the Soo Line.
With Walschaert valve gear and 25” x 26” cylinders, it has an engine wheelbase of
34’ 7” and driver wheelbase of 13’ 6” and weighs 277,570 lbs, 171,960 on its 75” drivers. The grate is 52.75 sq ft and the firebox 207.4 sq ft. Total heating surface
is 4,197 sq ft, including 805 sq ft superheating.
A coal burner operating at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, #736 delivered 36,833 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
The tender weighs 216,000 lbs light and has a a capacity of 12 tons of coal and 7,500 gallons of water.
#736 clocked up 2,896,000 miles in its thirty-six years of service before being retired. It was donated to the City of Appleton, WI, in 1959 by John Mason Balliet who also paid to build a temporary spur off the main line to get it into Telulah Park on East Newberry Street, as well as a fence erected later to deter vandals. The boiler jacket and lagging were removed in the early-mid 1980s, and the bare boiler painted.