Three of these Class K-4-b Pacific type (4-6-2) locomotives
were built for passenger service on the Grand Truck Western Railway by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, in 1929.
The K-4-bs have a driver wheelbase of 13’, an engine wheelbase of 35’ 10”, and weigh 299,330 lbs, 184,540 lbs on their generous 73” drivers. The grate was 66.7 sq ft and the 344 sq ft firebox heating surface area included 88 sq ft of thermic syphons, 13.5 sq ft in two arch tubes and 45 sq ft in the combustion chamber. Total heating surface came to 4,207 sq ft, including 789 sq ft superheating. Operating at a boiler pressure of 215 psi, the locomotives delivered 43,810 lbs tractive effort. The tender weighs 210,970 lbs light and has a capacity of 10,000 gallons of water and 16 tons of coal.
#5632 worked into the 1950s and was donated to the City of Durand, MI, in 1961 and is on display on W Clinton St near the Durand City Hall on the old Ann Arbor Railroad right of way and the current CN line. A GTW passenger car is also on display just to the south of the engine.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.