This Class M-6 Mogul (2-6-0) type locomotive is one of sixty-nine (#1725-#1769 & #1780-#1803) delivered to the Southern Pacific in 1902 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works (you can see other M-6s on the SP #1727 and SP #1765 pages of this website).
The Southern Pacific came relatively late to buying Moguls in any number. The type had been popular with many railroads in the mid-late nineteenth century, and SP’s predecessor, the Central Pacific owned a small number from the 1860s. By the time the SP started acquiring them at the turn of the century, however, Moguls had largely fallen out of favour with other railroads, which were starting to invest in larger Consolidation (2-8-0) types. The Southern Pacific eventually rostered two hundred and fifty-two Moguls.
The M-6s were built as saturated Vauclain compounds with Stephenson valve gear, and 15½” x 28” high pressure and 26” x 28” low pressure cylinders. They weighed 174,000 lbs, 150,400 lbs on their 63” drivers. Oil burners with a 49.5 sq ft grate, 160.32 sq ft firebox and total heating surface of 2,257 sq ft, they operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi delivering 26,785 lbs tractive effort.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
#1785 was simpled by
the SP in 1912 with
22” x 28” cylinders, and then fitted with superheating in 1919. This raised its weight to 174,000 lbs, 150,400 lbs on the drivers. With a slightly larger 162 sq ft firebox and total heating surface of 2,105 sq ft including 344 sq ft superheating, the rebuild increased tractive effort by nearly 25% to 33,320 lbs.
#1785 was retired in
1957 and donated to the City of Woodburn, OR. It is on display near the junction of E Cleveland St & Ogle St, and appears to be very well looked after by the Oregonian Railway Historical Society.