#1809 is one of fifty-seven Class 1800 balanced compounds delivered to the Santa Fe as coal burners between 1906 and 1907 (#1809 in 1906). Built by Burnham, Williams & Company, an early incarnation of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, they were amongst the biggest Prairie type (2-6-2) locomotives built for any US railroad. The high pressure cylinders were set 7° off the horizontal to clear the front axle and avoid having to use a forked main rod.
The 1800s have an engine wheelbase of 33' 9", a driver
wheelbase of 13' 8" and Walschaert valve gear. As built, they weighed 248,200 lbs, 174,700 lbs on the drivers. The high pressure cylinder was 17.5" x 28", the low pressure cylinder
29" x 28". The grate was 53.8 sq ft and the firebox 217 sq ft. With a total heating surface of 4,020 sq ft, they operated at a boiler pressure of 225 psi, delivering 34,846 lbs tractive effort.
In 1920, the Santa Fe installed 802 sq ft of superheating, increasing the total heating surface to 4,084 sq ft. Boiler pressure and tractive effort were unchanged, but weight increased to 260,132 lbs, 179,006 on the drivers.
Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. The "Digimarc-Enabled" Web Button is a trademark of Digimarc Corporation, used with permission.
In 1924, the class was simpled with 25" x 28" cylinders. The boiler pressure was dropped to 200 psi. Weight increased to 272,400 lbs, 192,100 lbs on the 69" drivers. Tractive effort increased to 42,500 lbs, but little else changed.
As built, the 1800s had a 175,000 lb tender with
a capacity of 9,000 gallons of water and 14 tons
of coal. Superheated, they had a 164,500 lb
tender holding 8,000 gallons of water and 12 tons of coal. As oil burners, the tender was converted to hold 12,000 gallons of water and 3,909 gallons
Initially designed for main line freight, the 1800s had a comparatively short career in that service. From the mid 1920s, they were relegated to
branch-line, mixed-traffic and local freight
service. Retirements started in 1940 and
continued until 1955. In 1955, #1809 was donated
to the City of Slaton, TX. It is on display in a
small park near the corner of W Lubbock St and
E 8th St.
Only two of the Santa Fe 1800s have survived. You can see the other survivor on the ATSF #1819 page of this website.